Sunday, August 21, 2011

A KC Girl in St. Louis.

So...this is Missouri, huh?

After living in Leawood, Kansas for 22 years and 10 months, I made the big move across the state line and have settled in a little city called "St. Louis". My great move eastward was initially prompted by a lacking social scene in Kansas City (somehow, a daily nannying gig and a 9pm bedtime didn't prove to be the glamorous life one strives for), but after an extremely lucky series of events, I was able to secure a big girl job in my new home city.

(I won't bore you with the details, but I am now the Marketing Coordinator for Sandler Training Stark & Associates...Google them. They're legit.)

One week in, and I'm already sold on St. Louis, but there are some adjustments that need to be made...by me, not the city. I mean, I'm not above taking some of these to a city council meeting, but whatever.

  • First of all, I don't know how to handle this whole "traffic" thing. Back in KS, traffic existed, but was limited to roads under construction and Metcalf. Here, especially on my routes to and from work, traffic is a four letter word. Everyone takes the highway, and everyone works 8-5, meaning that everyone and I have a daily rendezvous betwixt our bumpers.
  • It's "St. Louis Bread Company", not "Panera". Not a big deal, just different...but their Creamy Tomato Soup still gives me happy tummy, so we're cool.
OK, that wasn't a long list. I mostly just wanted to bitch about the traffic. To counterbalance those grievances, here are some reasons St. Louis is perfection.
  • My home is a short bike ride away from both Grant's Farm and Grant's Trail. Grant's Farm is not unlike Deanna Rose Farmstead in Kansas...kinda like petting zoo meets real zoo. What separates it, however, is the tram ride...oh, and the free beer. Did I mention that it's owned and operated by Anheuser-Busch? Well it is, which means that after you take a lovely tram ride through the estate and walk around the farm attractions, you end up in what can only be described as a beer garden. Here, you get two complimentary samples of beer. Oh, and the whole thing is free, with the exception of parking. Rough life, right? Grant's Trail runs right alongside Grant's Farm, and is an eight mile bike trail. It's a nice stretch of path that offers a different view of St. Louis. I rode it today...and came back with jelly legs and lack of breath. Note to self: get back in biking shape.
  • This isn't St. Louis specific, but my home is perfection. (I'm living with my good friend, Kathleen, who recently gained legit 'big girl' status with her real estate purchase.) While there is a ridiculous amount of room, there are some issues with it being an older house...case in point: my closet. It's not a small closet, quite spacious actually, but the doorway is about 1/3 of size of the closet, requiring me to crawl into it to get anything towards the back. Not ideal. Enter: Bob the Builder. No, not the animated fix-it guy...my dad! He helped me move in and in a day and a half, took my comically small doorway from this:
Closet is the door on the left.
To this:

Impressive...huh?
  • My job is also phenomenal, but I mustn't dwell.
  • Oh, and two words: happy hour.

All in all, this move has been great...and I love telling people who want to visit that they get to meet me in St. Louis!

(P.S. I have some killer recipes to post on here, but I didn't want this post to be Tolstoy long. Things to look forward to: Mozzarella Bites, Buffalo Chicken Rolls and Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken. Yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment